Dog park closed after animal dies in poison scare

Aimee Hiini said she was devastated by the sudden death of her lead Labrador after a visit to Groynes Dog Park in Christchurch.

Provided

Aimee Hiini said she was devastated by the sudden death of her lead Labrador after a visit to Groynes Dog Park in Christchurch.

A dog owner has been devastated after her Labrador retriever died following a visit to a popular dog walking park in Christchurch.

Groynes Dog Park was closed until further notice by Christchurch City Council on Saturday.

“The dogs have become ill and this is currently under investigation. The park is closed as an additional precaution,” said a council social media post about the closure.

On Saturday, parks board chief Andrew Rutledge said park rangers had thoroughly searched the dog park and surrounding area for evidence of cynobacteria and blue-green algae, but found none. none.

READ MORE:
* Dog to be destroyed following an attack in the park
* Increase in kennel cough cases in Christchurch and Waimakariri
* Dozens of miniature schnauzers descend on popular dog park in Christchurch

STACY SQUIRES / TRICKS

An outbreak of kennel cough has dog owners in Christchurch worried. (Video first published on January 1, 2020)

“The council does not use any poisons or baits for pest control in this area.”

This was a clarification of an earlier statement released on Friday, which said the council had not used poison in the park ‘apart from closed bait stations for vermin control in buildings’ .

Aimee Hiini said Thing his beloved dog Chief died on Wednesday just hours after taking him to Groynes Dog Park.

Christchurch City Council has temporarily closed Groynes Dog Park and Ōtukaikino Walkway while an investigation is underway following the death of a dog on Wednesday.

CHRIS SKELTON / Stuff

Christchurch City Council has temporarily closed Groynes Dog Park and Ōtukaikino Walkway while an investigation is underway following the death of a dog on Wednesday.

“I took the chef there at 10 a.m., and we were home by 11:30 a.m., and he was fine.”

Hiini said she picked him up around 2:45 p.m. and found him shivering by his bed.

She and her partner took him to a vet, who told them they would be in touch in about two hours.

“We didn’t even come home, and he called to say [Chief] had passed.”

Hinii said she didn’t know if the chef ingested anything at the park, but that was the only place she took him.

Her other dog, a Cavoodle, which she did not take to the park, was fine.

Rutledge said the council learned of Chief’s death through social media posts, but no one contacted the council directly about the incident.

Aimee Hiini said she was devastated by the sudden death of her lead Labrador after a visit to Groynes Dog Park in Christchurch.

Provided

Aimee Hiini said she was devastated by the sudden death of her lead Labrador after a visit to Groynes Dog Park in Christchurch.

He said the ECan pollution hotline had been notified.

“They will do all the tests they deem relevant in due course.”

Additionally, park rangers will take samples of fungi or mushrooms that may be present and have them tested for “all possible risk factors,” Rutledge said.

Hiini said she and her friends posted their experience on social media to warn others.

“We know Groynes is an awesome dog park, but we just think we need to let people know there could be a risk.

I would hate for anyone to have to go through the pain that my family and I are going through.

About Chuck Keeton

Check Also

Trumbull County Kennel volunteers given go-ahead to work after grievance filed

(WKBN) – It appears volunteers at the Trumbull County Kennel have been given the green …